The range of ways to enjoy fall in Wisconsin is as wide and deep as the land at our lush, 200-acre resort property, located in the heart of Wisconsin’s Driftless Region. And many of the best ideas for fall fun can be enjoyed without ever leaving this gorgeous, restful Sparta, Wisconsin bed & breakfast. Either way, we’ve got the inside scoop, and we’re eager to share what we’ve learned in the 34 years we’ve been sharing this special getaway with our guests. So check out what we’re all about and reserve your cabin, cottage, suite or campsite today, and get ready to enjoy fall in Wisconsin at our eco-luxury resort!
8 Fantastic Ways to Enjoy Fall in Wisconsin
With temperatures cooling but not quite cold through October, there’s plenty of opportunities to enjoy fall in Wisconsin through the many amenities of our eco-luxury resort or in and around the town of Sparta. Whether it’s indoors or out, here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this time of year.
On the grounds of our resort, here’s how we best enjoy fall in Wisconsin:
- Disc golf. If you’ve played this sport before or just curious, we’re happy to hook you up with this increasingly popular sport. We’ve got two top-rated, championship-quality 18-hole courses onsite. If you’re new the sport, we’re happy to loan out discs and give you a quick introduction to this addictive pastime.
- Trail walks. Justin Trails Resort’s 200 acres, nestled in a hilly, secluded coulee, offers a pet-friendly trail system that accommodates bicyclists and walkers in spring, summer and fall and snowshoers and cross-country skiers in winter. There’s even a self-guided scavenger hunt. The trail system makes for excellent bird-watching — for specific species, check our annual onsite bird counts — and wildlife-spotting opportunities.
- Stargazing and bonfires. We supply the fire ring and the firewood; you supply the s’mores makings and scary stories.
In and around Sparta, here’s how we suggest you enjoy fall in Wisconsin:
- Did we mention bicycling? Sparta has long had a reputation as America’s biking capital and it all centers around the Elroy-Sparta State Trail. Considered the first rails-to-trail route in America, this 32.5-mile path features abundant natural beauty broken up only by another dazzling spectacle — three rock tunnels. The Elroy-Sparta Trail connects with other memorable biking routes, such as the LaCrosse River State Trail, the 400 State Trail, and the Great River State Trail.
- Whether or not you’re a bike rider, you’re sure to get a kick out of America’s tallest bicyclist, a 32-foot statue known as “Ben Bikin.” And check out the one-of-a-kind slice of Americana known as the Deke Slayton Space & Bicycle Museum, named after the NASA astronaut and Sparta native.
- Visit Wisconsin Amish country. Members of this community settled this area in the 1970s, bringing with them old-world skills in woodworking, furniture-making, quilt-making, basket-weaving, baking, and candy-making. Their wares are sold at farmers markets, or along any back road where a hand-lettered sign modestly advertises a given family’s specialty.
- Take a scenic drive through the Driftless Region. There are several great ones, but the granddaddy of them all is the Great River Road scenic byway. Loaded with soaring bluffs and scenic overlooks, this route runs for 250 miles of Wisconsin along the Mississippi River and passes through 33 distinct river towns, all of which are worth a stop and a stroll.
- Eat local. Sparta and surrounding towns like Viroqua and LaCrosse have standout dining scenes, and we heartily endorse taking your hearty appetite to any of these 20 restaurants. For a date night, we especially recommend The Waterfront Restaurant & Tavern in LaCrosse, which combines farm-to-table fine dining with unbeatable westward views of the Mississippi River — perfect for enjoying a fall in Wisconsin sunset.
Begin and End Your Day of Wisconsin Adventures With Us
Our stunning bed and breakfast resort isn’t just a place to stay, it’s a destination experience. Staying here is also the best way to enjoy fall in Wisconsin. You’ll put your imagination to work on a new day’s adventure with a hearty breakfast tailored to your tastes and dietary needs, and wind down after each sundown with a soak in a whirlpool tub, among other amenities.
But don’t take our word for it — check out a sampling of our nearly 250 five-star reviews on TripAdvisor. Planning to enjoy fall in Wisconsin? Reserve a guest space at our Wisconsin cabins and resort today.