There’s a variety of things to do in Sparta Wisconsin. One of our favorites, of course, is to head outside and enjoy the incredible scenery and variety of attractions in the area. Sparta is a fairly typical small town in Wisconsin, which means it’s packed with plenty of its own character and charms. At the heart of any visit to the Sparta area will be a stay at our pet-friendly resort.
The Justin Trails Resort is located on a beautiful 200-acre coulee, or valley, in the Driftless Area. If you’ve never experienced Wisconsin’s Driftless Area, then this spring is your perfect opportunity. The Driftless Area is a region known for its rolling hills, steeply rising bluffs and winding rivers, all features not typically associated with the otherwise flat Midwest. Come experience this area for yourself, and book a room at the Justin Trails Resort.
10 Fun Things to do in Sparta Wisconsin
Sparta Wisconsin is probably best known as the biking capital of America. It offers access to some of the best biking trails in the area, including the Elroy-Sparta State Trail, the first rails-to-trails bicycle route in the country. The Elroy-Sparta State Trail is one of the most popular biking trails in the country. Along its 32.5 miles, riders will have the opportunity to pass through three rock tunnels and visit the 5 quaint towns that border the trail, all while taking in the area’s stunning natural beauty.
The railroad tunnels themselves are a huge attraction along the Elroy-Sparta State Trail. They are each over 140 years old, and range in length from 1/4 mile to 3/4 miles long. It’s a surreal experience to pass through these tunnels, which are very dark and often much colder than ambient temperatures.
Other great biking trails that connect up to the Elroy-Sparta State Trail include the La Crosse River State Trail, the 400 State Trail, and the Mill Bluff State Park.
Biking great trails like these aren’t the only great things to do in Sparta Wisconsin, though. Here are 9 more great ideas to keep you active and having fun this year!
- Biking fans should visit the Deke Slayton Memorial Space and Bicycle Museum, and take a look at the World’s Largest Bicyclist. The statue was built by F.A.S.T. Corp. As an interesting side note, the town has a great variety of fiberglass casts made by the same company that were used to make statues all over the world.
- Go fishing on the many rivers in this part of the Driftless Area. The cold trout streams of Driftless Wisconsin are famous.
- Canoe or kayak along either the La Crosse River or the Kickapoo River.
- Play some disc golf on one of our two professionally-designed disc-golf courses on our property. There are also a few wonderful regular golf courses in the area, including River Run Golf Course, rated by USA Today as one of the best courses under $50.
- Go antiquing! There’s plenty of treasure to be found at Sparta’s New and Used Shop, Janusheske Antiques, and more.
- Visit Wisconsin’s Amish Communities in the surrounding rural areas.
- Take a hike and enjoy the fresh, clean air around us. There are so many great places to go hiking, including Wildcat Mountain State Park, Kickapoo Valley Reserve, and the Black River State Forest, and, of course, the trails at our very own Justin Trails Resort.
- Enjoy bird watching as the migrating birds move through our area. Birding can be enjoyed right here on our property, or at any number of parks and spots along the rivers nearby. Your Innkeeper will be happy to provide more information.
- Take a scenic drive through the diverse countryside. Winding roads lead the way through farms and small communities and will leave you with a lasting impression of this incredible area. There are a few Wisconsin Rustic Roads in the area that make for excellent touring adventures, along with the Great River Road and the Lower Wisconsin River Road.
Stay at our Eco-Friendly Resort
The Justin Trails Resort is one of Wisconsin’s few eco-friendly resort properties. We were actually awarded as one of the top ten Eco-luxury Inns from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism. This stems in part from our dedication to organically farming 50 of our acres for alfalfa and cornfields, and our commitment to the ongoing preservation of 150 acres of oak savanna prairie, and woodland forest.
A stay at our resort truly is like nothing you’ve ever experienced before. Whether you choose to camp under the stars on our stunning property or stay in one of our guest rooms, you’ll soon see what makes Justin Trails Resort so much different. Come experience a little slice of heaven this year, and book your room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!