Winter turns Wisconsin’s Driftless Region into a magical wonderland of snowdrifts and outdoor delights. Especially on the 200 acres of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, with miles of trails perfectly suited to hiking, sledding, snow-tubing, and snowshoeing. And our cozy, luxuriously appointed guest cabins and suites are just as perfectly suited to watching the flakes fall while cocooned in the warmth of an electric or gas fireplace. And then there’s everything you can see and do in and around the delightful nearby town of Sparta, Wisconsin.
And if that isn’t reason enough to come to spend a snowy spell with us, here’s another: our Winter Rewards package, loaded with discounts and free goodies. So make your plans today with a Central Wisconsin winter wonderland getaway — and start by booking a cabin or suite at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
10 Ways to Enjoy the Driftless Region This Winter
At our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, we are so dedicated to outdoor pleasures during the winter months that we’ve opened our property to the public as well as to our guests. See for yourself in our amazing Winter Wonderland photo gallery! But we can admit that the fun is hardly limited to our expansive acreage — there’s plenty of awesomeness to be had in Sparta or in the many public lands in close proximity to our resort.
So, in that spirit, here’s our list of most enjoyable things to do in and around our resort (as always, check for COVID-19 protocols and restrictions before going):
- Snowshoeing. The grounds of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast offer a four-mile network of groomed trails that can be enjoyed night or day. You can rent snowshoes from us.
- Off our property, you can find seven miles of groomed trails at nearby Wildcat Mountain State Park and about 10 miles on the Kickapoo Valley Reserve, both of which offer stunning sandstone cliff views and great cross country skiing and snowshoeing. And for a touch of comparative solitude, BlackRiver State Forest offers 14 miles of trails for those activities. Be sure and get the proper passes and permits for these locations.
- If you’re visiting us with kids — or maybe just the kid inside you — try our snow tubing hill. We offer two groomed hills — one 600 feet, the other 1,200 feet — and provide the tubes as well as a heated warm-up area with a snack shop, restrooms, and more.
- Birdwatching on the farmland and ponds of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast is just as enjoyable in winter as it is at any other time of year. Some of the most commonly seen birds in our annual counts include ring-necked pheasants, wild turkeys, rose-breasted grosbeaks, along with orioles, robins, swallows, warblers, and more.
- Go snowmobiling! There’s no shortage of great places to go in the Driftless region and beyond, beginning with the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. A local club grooms and maintains a network of trails there. Here’s where you can rent snowmobiles.
- Go ice skating! There’s plenty of rinks in Sparta.
- Interesting in shopping or dining? Try downtown Sparta or nearby Viroqua.
- For the consummate Wisconsin cultural experience, take a day trip on the Wisconsin Cheese Trail.
- Visit and feed our friendly llamas, Dusty and Rusty. They love human interaction and can be hand-fed treats from a mailbox just outside their house.
- There’s no better way to wind down a day of winter adventure — or launch into an evening of the same — than 0ur nightly bonfire, preferably with a beverage in hand. It’s a great way to relax while gazing at the stars.
Why You Should Stay at Our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast
The stunning beauty of our winter wonderland, with cabins nestled amid snow-sugared trees, will take your breath away. We also offer unparalleled hospitality, a full slate of resort-style activities, an amazing array of luxury enhancements, delicious and hearty breakfasts for any diet or appetite, and much more. Whether you want a snuggle-worthy private getaway with your sweetheart in one of our cozy guest cabins or suites, or an immersive and colorfully varied experience outside of it, our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast is the perfect place for the perfect snow-centric getaway. And did we mention that we’re 100% dog-friendly?
So make your plans for a Wisconsin winter escape — and start by booking your guest space right away at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast!