There are a lot of exciting activities to experience in our area of the Midwest. However, wine tasting at these nearby Wisconsin wineries is one of our favorite ways to spend an afternoon. Not only will you get to try some fantastic grape varietals grown in the Upper Mississippi Valley AVA, but you’ll also get to taste some premiere fruit-based wines found only in Wisconsin.
The first vineyards were planted in our state in the mid-19th century, but it wasn’t until 1967 when the first of the modern Wisconsin wineries opened, known as the von Stiehl Winery. Fast forward to the present day, and now we have more than 60 Wisconsin wineries to visit for tastings and vineyard tours. Two of the most popular hybrid-grape varieties are Marquette and LaCrescent, which thrive in the humid summers and survive the cold winters.
As a guest at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be in a great location to plan a wine tasting tour of the area. There’s a handful of remarkable Wisconsin wineries within 30 to 45 minutes of our Inn, and the scenic byways are well worth the mini-road trip. Our resort offers a variety of lodging styles for your upcoming getaway; from private B&B suites and luxury cabins to glamping tents and cozy campsites, you’ll have your pick. Start planning your next wine tasting tour in Wisconsin and book your suite today!
Head out for Wine Tasting at these Wisconsin Wineries
Can you think of a better way to take in the beautiful countryside of the Driftless Region than on your way to wine taste at these Wisconsin wineries? We can’t either! Start planning your next wine tasting adventure today.
Here are 10 Wisconsin wineries within an hour of our Sparta Bed and Breakfast:
- Branches Winery: This boutique winery in Westby is all about locally grown cold-weather varietals, fruit wines, local cheese and charcuterie boards, and wood-fired pizzas. Head here for beautiful vineyard views from their indoor and outdoor seating area
- Vernon Vineyards: Located on an ancient ridge in the Driftless Region, this is one of the Wisconsin wineries that use only locally and estate-grown grapes. They offer outdoor patio seating overlooking the vineyards and guided tastings with their knowledgeable staff.
- Brambleberry Winery is a must-visit for wine lovers, offering a wide variety of outstanding reds, crisp whites and superior, flavorful fruit wines they call sweeties. This artisanal boutique winery has some of the best wines in the La Crosse area and is just a short drive off the Great River Road Wine Trail.
- Burr Oak Winery: Since 1997, the big, rustic white barn has welcomed visitors to the picturesque garden grounds of this winery and vineyard in New Lisbon, WI. They offer an array of tasting options, including a wine glass to bring home.
- Lost Island Wine: While some visitors are underwhelmed by the exterior of this Wisconsin winery, head inside for beachy vibes, friendly owners, and 30 different kinds of fruit wines.
- DnA Vintners: This is one of the Wisconsin wineries that focuses on fermenting fruits to make creative adult beverages. Their best seller and award-winning cranberry wines are bright, tart, and a tad sweet. Make sure to take a bottle or two home with you.
- Turisimo Winery and Fermentations: Located in La Crosse, WI, you’ll find anything from fruit ciders, seltzers, and sparkling wine at this downtown taproom. If you happen to pop by on Wine Wednesday, all wine glass pours are half-off!
- Elmaro Vineyard: Nestled in the Mississippi River Valley with an emphasis on promising new Midwest grape varietals, their vineyard has Marquette, St. Pepin, Reliance, La Crescent, Summerset Seedless, and Bluebell Varieties. Their unique location makes for beautiful scenery and the ideal conditions for cold-hearty vines. Elmaro Vineyard is the 2016 Wisconsin Winery of the Year.
- Tenba Ridge Winery, Wisconsin’s boutique winery produces Alsatian-style wines in small batches. These big , bold wines are full of flavor and are great paired with food or just by themselves.
- At Seven Hawks, their vineyards are planted with almost 17,000 northern hybrid grape vines, making them one of the largest vineyards in the Upper Midwest. All of their grapes are hand-pruned, hand-tended, and hand-harvested, and all of their wines are estate-grown and estate-bottled.
Elegant Lodging for Getaways to Wisconsin
Our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast is an ideal location for exploring the bounty of Wisconsin wineries in our area, all while enjoying the stunning landscape of the Driftless Region. When you arrive on our beautiful 200-acre organic farm and eco-friendly resort, you’ll quickly realize that we’re more than just a place to drop your luggage, and there are so many things to do right on our property alone.
Many guests spend most of their time exploring our pet-friendly hiking trails, playing disc golf, and hand-feeding our 3 pet llamas. Spend your mornings with lively conversation, gourmet breakfast, and hot coffee in The Lodge, and your evenings under the stars by your outdoor fire pit—A favorite place for a glass of Wisconsin wine or s’mores. Check our upcoming availability in the new year and book your stay today!