A hidden gem in the Midwest, the Wisconsin Driftless area encompasses more than 24,000 square miles, including all 57 counties in southwest Wisconsin, southeast Minnesota, northeast Iowa, and a small upper northwest corner of Illinois. The region’s distinct geological formations and unique terrain are due to the lack of glacial drift, hence the name “driftless,” from the last ice age—creating a rugged landscape characterized by steep bluffs, rolling valleys, and an interconnected map of cold water streams and rivers.
Recently more outdoor enthusiasts have discovered the Wisconsin Driftless area, as the last few years have drawn more and more people out into nature and the fresh air. It’s truly an untouched treasure, full of hiking, biking, and boating adventures. For those interested in birdwatching or wildlife gazing, you’ll be in paradise in the Wisconsin Driftless area. And for those looking for lodging, our bed and breakfast in Wisconsin has all of the above on-site or just nearby.
The Best Things to do in the Wisconsin Driftless Area
If you’re planning your next getaway to the Wisconsin Driftless area, you’re in for a treat! From endless beautiful nature areas, hiking trails, and calm rivers for canoeing to breweries, wineries, and farms for local goods, you’ll fill your days with a bounty of adventures. For those who stay at our bed and breakfast in Wisconsin, you’ll also relax in the lap of luxury in your guest suite, log cabin, or glamping cottage.
Here are the best things to do in the Wisconsin Driftless area:
- Explore the Kickapoo Valley Reserve: Located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario, WI, this nature reserve is quintessential Driftless Region scenery. Begin at the beautiful Visitor’s Center for information and maps. Take the 1.5-mile Wintergreen Bluff Trail through hardwood forests for those looking for a relatively easy hike.
- Spend the day at Wildcat Mountain State Park: Hike along 21 miles of scenic nature and equestrian trails that weave throughout the forests and glens. There’s an observation point and picnic area overlooking the Kickapoo Valley for stunning views of the Driftless Region. The Kickapoo River is popular for boating, and rentals are available in the nearby village of Ontario.
- Ride the Elroy-Sparta Bike Trail: This bike path is a 32.5-mile route connecting the two towns of Elroy and Sparta. It premiered in 1967 and was designed for foot, bike, and equestrian traffic—today, the trail sees more than 60,000 cyclists annually.
- Take a Day Trip to La Crosse, WI: From boat rides and exciting museums to delicious dining and breweries, La Crosse is a great stop in the Driftless Region for a fun-filled day.
- Tour the local Wisconsin Wineries: There’s a lovely selection of wineries near our bed and breakfast in Wisconsin, but one of our favorites is Elmaro Vineyard at Trempealeau for phenomenal wines in a setting reminiscent of an Italian villa.
- Beer Tasting at Wisconsin Breweries: It’s no secret that people from the midwest are serious about beer! So it’s always great to enjoy a beer or two at one of the nearby Wisconsin breweries. We suggest Alchemy Brewing and Footjoy Farm and Brewery for tasty brews and great food options.
The Best Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin for 2023
As a guest at Justin Trails Resort, you’ll rarely need to leave our 200-acre property to enjoy the beauty of the Wisconsin Driftless area. Here are the best things to do during your stay at our Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin:
- Explore our maintained trail system for hikes, birdwatching, and immersing yourself in the woodlands, hills, and meadows. With a terrain of steep hills and valleys, we’ve curated more than 14 miles of hiking trails on our property, weaving through this diverse landscape of the Wisconsin Driftless area. Along these routes, you’ll spot a large variety of bird species—90 identified—and woodland creatures who also call this space home.
- Try your hand at one of the two professional championship disc golf courses. Each year in September, we host a Wisconsin Disc Golf Tournament. An exciting and popular annual event!
- Meet the resident llamas: Porter and Stout. Both are gentle creatures who love to be hand-fed and petted by guests. As a pet-friendly resort, we encourage guests to bring their well-behaved and socialized animals with them.
- Stargazing at the nightly bonfire for s’mores, lively conversation, and sitting under the vast starry sky.
- Throughout the year, we host an array of events at our resort, either small classes featuring crafts, nature tours, and art or a weekly farmer’s market where local vendors can offer fresh produce, products, and handmade goods.
- Enjoy a homecooked breakfast at The Lodge at Justin Trails Resort each morning of your stay. Freshly brewed coffee, juices, fruit, and classic entrees await you!
After all of these adventures on the property at our Bed and Breakfast in Wisconsin and out in the surrounding Wisconsin Driftless area, you’ll be more than ready to relax in one of our lodging accommodations at the resort. Whether staying in our elegant bed and breakfast suites, luxury log cabins, or cozy glamping options, you can rest easy in comfort. Book your stay!